Well another Thanksgiving has gone by. Marley and I went out to the ranch with some of my "thanksgiving orphan" friends. I do like thanksgiving a lot. Here are some reasons:
1. I like Turkey.. A LOT. Its the only meat in my bouts of vegetarianism that I cheat with. Although that graphic interview with Sarah Palin is very inspiring to change that. We all know that stuff happens, but don't really like to watch turkey carcases blood being drained. Brings all into reality.
2. I love how the entire holiday is based around giving thanks for what we have. There are no gifts, no marketing, no corporate or human greed present. Its a time to sit back reflect, and really focus on the good in your life.
3. I do like to watch football. I know.. may be shocking, but there is a weird satisfaction that comes from football on TV.
4. I love sitting around and visiting with people. Good conversation comes with full belly's and a few glasses of wine.
5. Its not only a time to spend with family, but with friends too. Christmas is the "family first" holiday where everyone goes home to their family. While thanksgiving often is spent with both friends and family. Both are appreciated and acknowledged for the good role they play in your life.
6. I like pie..A LOT. Especially Pumpkin and Pecan. Thanksgiving is the guilt free pie day!
When my Texas grandpa was alive, he would send us huge bags filled with pecans from his tree in his backyard in Texas. We would have to shell them before making pie out of them. Every thanksgiving my mom and I reflect on that and remember "pepaw" and his pecans and best homemade ice cream ever (which I have tried to reproduce exactly many times, I even ordered the special thickener available in Texas but not here over the Internet. Never tasted the same. I came to the conclusion that it must need pipe tobacco smoked out of his pipe while making the ice cream as he did to obtain the perfect flavor.)
well that is just me anyway. I am sure that everyone has their own view on thanksgiving. Just thought I would share mine. I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday and will continue to have a great christmas season.
1 comment:
I knew there was a reason I liked Thanksgiving so much - you put it all into words! Thanks YOU! Enjoy your holidays!
Post a Comment