Sunday, January 31, 2010

Moving on up


Well, there is a change in the wind and I once again am adjusting my sails. I spent the last three, yes three, years pushing wine, beer, coffee and tea with only one break for a field job. I started a graphic arts program that turned out to be folly besides meeting my wonderful partner. I also dabbled into teaching, which I realized was an absolute ludicrous idea after sitting in on a friends middle school science class. Seriously, what was I thinking! After all that career wandering, I came to realize that I actually missed natural resources. I missed being around scientist who are constantly exploring the natural world and actually challenging my brain. So I started to move forward again and looking into graduate schools and applying for jobs in my field.

After about two months of serious applying, I got an interview with an environmental consulting company here in Poky. I was surprised to get an interview as these kind of companies typically want a masters degree. Then was even more surprised when they offered me the position. I am going to be an Ecologist for them! I am officially some kind of ologist.. wahoo! I will likely be working on a large scale plant survey project for the Caribou/Targhee National Forest (one of my favs =c)this summer. However, they told me one of the reasons they really were impressed with my resume is my wide variety of jobs(about time someone took note of that :). He went on saying I obviously am open to learning a variety of skills so they may have me cross training on three or four different projects. I will be doing the field work for them in the summer, then writing reports in the winter. I am very excited and still a little shell shocked. The pay is actually an adult wage and significantly more than I have ever made (much more than any state job would pay at my level). I start the last week in April!

As always, it can be a bit scary closing a chapter. I don't know what to expect exactly at this new job. They are excited about my writing skills, but I haven't written scientifically for awhile. I hope it is like writing a bike.. =c). Also, The Grapevine has been very good to me despite my complaining about it, and they just barely gave me a raise. I feel a little guilty about abandoning them. However, it is most definitely time to move on. I just hope I am moving in the right direction. Feels right.

6 comments:

Mrs.Goates said...

Congratulations!!! Scott and I are so excited for you... Hopefully we'll join you in the world of adults soon!

Keeping Up With the Jones said...

Wow! That is just so awesome--you're all grown up :) I'm so excited for you! When do you start?

Robin Goates said...

That is great! I hope you might get some time to get up to Waterton this summer, but having a career job is the best. Congratulations!

Blair said...

Congratulations !!!!

Jessica Edwards said...

Yay! That is awesome, Chrissy! Can you take Marley on the job with you?

Cyndy said...

What happened with this ma'am???? Have I been that bad of a friend that I didn't even know about this???


Followers