Thursday, April 22, 2010

The wind picked up, the fire spread, the Grapevine scene is left for dead.


Today is my last day of work at the little wine and beer shop where I have worked for three years.

I have written and erased about three paragraphs now. I started writing this hoping to come out with what the Grapevine has been for me. What is has given me personally and why I maybe should be a little sad to leave that part of my life behind. The truth is, I am just not sad. I am excited to move forward and the prospect of a new more lucrative career. Turns out I actually missed wildlife during my "I am so over wildlife phase" and am so excited to be studying birds this summer. I needed that break to realize that and really get driven to move forward. I think the excitement is holding any potential sadness at bay. I guess that right there would be something Grapevine has given. A much needed break time of personal reflection.

Some of my best most amazing friends were met at Grapevine. True friends that you know would do anything for you. While my mom was in the Huntzman Cancer Hospital, I was so stressed out about her health and also how I was going to pay my mortgage that month after not working for three weeks. Turns out those friends, who had previously work at the grapevine, filled in for my shifts and told my boss to pay me for their hours worked and not them. They worked for free. That meant the world to me and makes me a little emotional talking about it now. True kindness, generosity, and unselfishness was shown through those great people who I would have never met if I didn't work at the Grapevine.

With a lift and a sniff of Cabernet Sauvignon, my nose detects black cherries, a hint of bell pepper and the tiniest nuance of campfire smoke. Placing the red nectar over my tongue, my palate forces the cherries forward but mixed with a little current and ends on a very distinct earthy chocolate flavor. Three years ago this cab would have tasted like a plain and simple "wine". The Grapevine has unlocked the secret of the real life everlasting gobstopper that lies in a good bottle of wine. It is a puzzle that is delightful to unlock, although a little snooty I must admit. The Grapevine has shown me the fun and entertainment that has been brought about by wine for centuries.

Overall the Grapevine has given me time, friends and wine knowledge. All fantastic things I would not want to throw away. However, like Elliot in "Pete's Dragon" it is time for the Grapevine to recruit someone else who may need it in their lives. I am now painting the lighthouse in my new life and will only look back with fond memories. I am looking forward to my Razzle Dazzle days ahead.

2 comments:

Keeping Up With the Jones said...

Love it--and so excited for the next step in your life. Especially love the last paragraph. We watch Pete's Dragon almost daily around here.

Cyndy said...

I am so excited for you! I can't believe how much I miss out on your life while I am away from Facebook. I think that you should probably make a trip to Boise soon so that we can celebrate! :)


Followers